How Can I Be Happy Despite Divorce? Learn Positive Psychology and ACT
Below is the foreword to the revised edition of my book, Guide To Self. I thought you’d be interested in seeing what I’ve been doing over the past 2 years!
Guide to Self: The Answer to the Age-Old Question…
How Can I Be Happy?
Using Positive Psychology to Learn Happiness
John L. Schinnerer, Ph.D.
Guide To Self, Inc.
For ongoing training, visit John’s sites…
My life is interesting. It swings between curious, frustrating, rewarding, breath-taking, exciting, challenging, and humorous. I’ve never taken the well-traveled road. As a result, my life is never dull. It’s never boring. Above all, my life is meaningful and purposeful. My goal is to teach people about their mind – how to use their mind to become happier and more successful. This is in direct contrast to the experience of most – that the mind is often an enemy working against their happiness and peak performance.
When I sat down to revise this book, I began to reflect on what I’ve done in the past two years of my life. And I come up with a list of accomplishments of which I’m quite proud. Let me share a partial list of these accomplishments with you…followed by the reason why I’m particularly proud of them. Over the past 24 months, I…
- served as an expert consultant to Pixar on a new feature-length film due out in 2014-15 in which the main characters are five emotions. The entire movie takes place inside the mind of a young girl. The other two experts were Paul Ekman and Dacher Keltner.
- gave a Psychiatric Grand Rounds presentation to Kaiser Oakland on positive psychology in clinical practice.
- constructed my own website (WebAngerManagement.com) to teach scientifically proven tools to people to turn down the volume on anger. As part of this effort, I wrote, filmed and starred in over 12 hours of video culminating in a 10 week online anger management course. This site has helped thousands of of people to become less angry and more content.
- raised awareness about athletic coaches who bully their athletes. As a result of one article I wrote, a family in Iowa contacted me. We worked together to get USA Swimming to enact a rule change to prohibit coaches from bullying swimmers.
- spoke to more than 50 groups (over 5,000 people across 75 dates) on topics such as positive psychology, anger management, forgiveness, resiliency, hope, meaning, self-compassion and more.
- supported numerous clients and their families through their own challenges.
This is not is a monument to my ego, however. There is a critical point to making the above list. You see, I was able to accomplish these things while my personal life was in tatters largely for reasons which were out of my control. Without the tools in this book, I would not have been able to produce and help others at these levels.
Over the past two years, I have been involved in a contentious and senseless divorce and there was absolutely no reason for it to be so. It was all about emotion.
And yet… everyone suffers challenges in life. It is the nature of life that good and bad come to all of us at times. The trick is to learn to be resilient, to bounce back from the adversity that life places in front of us. To focus your mind on what is going right in your life, rather than what is going wrong. To remind yourself that, despite the obvious challenges around you, you can deal with them.
I can safely say that, had I not learned the tools in this book series, I would have been driven into depression, into anger, by the events of the past two years. Without these tools, I would not have been able to accomplish those things which I mentioned earlier. I can think of no greater challenge than to work in a productive and positive fashion while being dragged through a world of lies and iniquity.
It is a startling testimony to the raw power of positive psychology, cognitive-behavioral therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy and mindfulness that I was able to continue working at a high level of productivity and positivity for the past 24 months.
And now I’d like to share those tools with you. I believe they are of immense benefit to all of us.
John Schinnerer, Ph.D.
For a free PDF copy of this award-winning, newly revised book, please visit www.GuideToSelf.com and click on the link on the left side of the page. You will be asked for your name and email address. Once you have responded to the verification email, you can instantly download your free copy!